There are quite a few tools in this space and they all offer access to clients in different ways. To take a step back, your options for communicating on projects with clients are:
- Weekly Reports
- Branded customer portal
- Access to your PM tool
- Access to a live project document
- Automated emails based on stages
Concentrating on the last four options:
- a client portal works well for giving updates, notes and giving access to files, all in one place.
- access to your PM tool is convenient but you do need to factor in permissions of what they can see + training requirements for the client. Interestingly, clients can sometimes stay around for longer if they’ve trained their whole team on using your system.
- access to a live project document is where you provide an online document that you update during the project. A simple solution if done well.
- automated update emails is a feature on a handful of PM software tools that is handy for higher-volume project updates.
Happy to givein this area if required.